Sep 15, 2015

Freehand Figure Drawing for Illustrators {Book Review}

Freehand Figure Drawing for Illustrators

Mastering the Art of Drawing from Memory by David H. Ross

My thoughts:

Although I didn't know what exactly to expect when I first picked up this book, I was quickly surprised and pleased to realize that this was an incredibly detailed book on how to draw people without having a reference to copy.

While the style focused on is comic-book-figures, the lessons on perspective, size, and body composition are definitely useful for any artist who wishes to draw people.

David Ross, the author, has drawn for multiple major comic book companies, including DC Comics and Marvel.  His talent is evident throughout the pages of the book in his detailed example sketches, and his instructions are full of incredibly useful advice.

While this book does go over some of the basic principles of drawing, it does seem to be more geared toward artists who already know most of the basics and have moved on to more intermediate or advanced levels.  I tend to think that those who are just entering the world of art could find themselves intimidated by this book.

While I've read through the entire book, I've only just started following the instructions to work on my own drawings.  I'm definitely looking forward to working my way through the book to create better and more accurate sketches.  If you're interested in drawing people or comics, this book is definitely worth your money.

I received a free copy of this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! All comments are welcome, so long as they are not profane, slanderous, or rife with grammatical errors. Thank you!