May 7, 2015

Cookie Love {Book Review}


Cookie Love

by Mindy Segal and Kate Leahy

Synopsis:
I always enjoy new and unique cookie recipes, so I was very happy to have a chance to review this cookie cookbook.

The unique-ness of the recipes is definitely a plus, and it was refreshing to see flavor combinations which I'd not previously encountered elsewhere.  And while reading through a cookbook can be less than thrilling, the author's notes and stories throughout the book made it enjoyable rather than boring.

The recipes within this book are definitely not too difficult for a beginning baker, especially given the detailed instructions, but they're complex enough that intermediate or advanced bakers will likely enjoy them more. 

Because of the fact that this book has unique recipes, it also uses ingredients which the average person might now have on hand.  I found this to be true for myself, as my limited pantry/cabinet space doesn't really allow me to have too many exotic or unusual ingredients at a time.  

If you're generally busy and prefer old standby-type of recipes such as the traditional chocolate chip cookie, then you'll likely find that the recipes are too time-consuming and different.  

If, however, you enjoy taking your time in the kitchen and you're looking for fresh new recipes to spice things up, then you're sure to find this cookbook to be a great addition to your library.

My Rating:
I was hoping to bake several recipes from this book before reviewing it, but caring for a newborn has prevented me from doing so.  I only made one recipe, Milano cookies, and even with that I fudged quite a bit when it came to following the instructions.  

That being said, however, the cookies were delicious.  :)

For me, at this time, the recipes are a bit too involved and have too many uncommon ingredients - but that's not because the book is faulty, but simply because it's geared more towards an different audience.  

Therefore, I'm giving Cookie Love 8 out of 10 stars.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book for the purpose of this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! All comments are welcome, so long as they are not profane, slanderous, or rife with grammatical errors. Thank you!