Dec 9, 2014

Cinnamon Chocolate-Chip Scones

I rarely come across or use recipes with self-rising flour, so the canister of it had remained untouched on the counter since before Dylan and I were married.  In an effort to make better use of my limited counter space, I decided that that canister ought to house something I used on a more regular basis, but that meant I had to empty to flour out of it first.  Putting it into a bag or other container would have probably resulted in it being shoved to the back of a cupboard and forgotten about for... well, it could've easily been years, I imagine. 

Anyway, I decided that I ought to find a recipe using self-rising flour so as to use it up.  I originally considered making biscuits with it, but then realized that scones sounded even better. 

This recipe turned out wonderfully, and the house now smells amazing.  I couldn't help but eat one as soon as they were cool enough to touch, and I suspect another might disappear once Dylan gets home from work.  Tomorrow's breakfast will definitely include scones, and whatever is left after that will most certainly vanish rapidly over the next few days.

Notes:
  • To make clean-up simple, you can knead and shape the dough on a piece of parchment paper, then carefully slide your baking sheet underneath the paper and bake it right there as well.  This eliminates the need to scrub counters or baking sheet.
  • I didn't watch these carefully enough, and the bottoms got a bit dark even though the tops looked fine.  I would recommend that when you check these for done-ness, you take a peek at the undersides to make sure they aren't getting overdone.


Cinnamon Chocolate-Chip Scones
makes 8 scones

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
  • 5 Tbsp butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450*F.
  2. Sift together first three ingredients.
  3. Cut in butter.
  4. Add chocolate chips.
  5. Whisk together egg and milk.
  6. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients; stir until combined.
  7. Remove dough from bowl and place on floured surface, knead several times.
  8. Shape dough into a disc shape, about 3/4 inch tall.
  9. Cut dough into 8 wedges with a sharp, well-floured knife.
  10. Place wedges on baking sheet.
  11. Bake 12-15 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned.
  12. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback! All comments are welcome, so long as they are not profane, slanderous, or rife with grammatical errors. Thank you!